Digg has been working on a Google Reader alternative for quite some time now. It won’t be the only player but many folks are excited to see what these guys have come up with. Considering that Google Reader is going away very soon, it is not a surprise that the new Digg Reader will make its debut as early as next week. The launch will happen in phases but all will have access by June 26th.
Here is what the beta release will focus on:
- “Easy migration and onboarding from Google Reader.
- A clean reading experience that gets out of the way and puts the focus
- squarely on the articles, posts, images, and videos themselves.
- Useful mobile apps that sync with the web experience.
- Support for key actions like subscribing, sharing, saving and organizing.”
Digg will focus on an Android app, speed improvements, integration with third party services, and other enhancements after the launch of its Reader. This will be a freemium product. While my choice is still Feedly, Digg Reader sounds like it is worth trying.